Please consider making a donation to help make Transformation Village a reality.
The transformation village vision
ABCCM believes no child should have to sleep on the streets or in the back of a car. No woman should feel afraid to leave her abuser because she and her children have no place to go or worried about her housing stability after a job loss. Yet every day, we see these issues right here in our own community.
Transformation Village is ABCCM's vision of taking every single woman, mom with children and intact family off the street or out of a car. In 2008, ABCCM bought a motel that took every male veteran off the streets. We know what it is like to be able to say, "Welcome Home" to every homeless veteran. Our dream of removing the shame of homelessness for our veterans is now our dream for every homeless child, woman and intact family.
We have purchased a 24-acre site near the Asheville Outlets that in Phase One of the plan will more than triple the number of beds we currently have at our Steadfast House, which is just 43 beds. Plans for Phase One also include a community center with housing units, a kitchen and dining facilities, job training center, children's educational center, a playground and a medical clinic. We are building on our successful programs that move homeless women and children into stability, training programs and career-level jobs that give residents health, safety and education. Subsequent building phases will include housing for intact families, single men with children, female veterans, survivors of domestic violence, and many others.
Show your support for Transformation Village by leaving a living legacy! Click here for a list of naming opportunities.
THE National and Local Situation:
- More than 1.6 million children, or 1 in 45, are homeless each year in America
- Women represent approximately 26 percent of the homeless population in the U.S. Three to four percent are female veterans who have served our country
- Estimates indicate there are approximately 400 homeless women and 300 homeless children at any given time in Buncombe County. This includes those who are doubled up with family or friends
- During the 2014-15 school year there were 749 homeless children in the Asheville City and Buncombe County school systems
- Steadfast House has a waiting list of more than 300 women and children. The current capacity there is 43 beds
- There are not enough facilities and programs available to support the need nationwide and the ones that do exist only provide a place to live with no programs to teach the skills needed for women to become self-sufficient
transformation village features:
- Each single resident of family will meet regularly with on-site master's degree-level case manager who will help them achieve their goals through a Contract for Success
- Veterans will have regular support from the Charles George VA Medical Center through the VA's Grant and Per Diem Program
- Residents will take life skills classes in areas such as financial planning, repairing credit, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills that will help prepare them for independence
- A program that combines the Housing First Model with the Continuum of Care Model based on client needs. (Learn more about the Housing First Model and the Continuum of Care Model.)
- Facility will meet or exceed national best practices standards
- Culinary training center in partnership with A-B Tech, among other job training classes, to provide opportunities for residents to learn careers that will pay a living wage
- Separate "neighborhoods" for intact families, women with children, female veterans, domestic violence survivors and those recovering from addictions
- Location on a bus line and near education facilities, hospitals, and businesses such as the Asheville Outlets for job opportunities
- Community center to encourage social support and engagement
- Abundant green space with family recreation areas and playgrounds
Transformation Village in the NEWS:
- "Charity raises $2.6 million for transitional housing" - ASHEVILLE CITIZEN-TIMES
- "Plans announced for 'Transformation Village,' housing for homeless families" - WLOS